Instancing - realXCV's Idea
This is the page with realXCV's Idea about instancing. Write any questions you have in the discussion page.
It doesn't include how sharing works but it assumes that you can still do it at book location. However, only books in public or shared locations would need the share bookmark.
The whole idea can be summarized by: "You link where you are expecting to link".
In MOUL, you have three instancing models. Public, hood and private. Public is exclusively used by the cavern. Hood is for multiplayer ages and private is for ages where you can have persistent changes. We can't remove public and we can't remove private. Now what to do with hood ? It can't become private because of the multiplayer aspect of the ages. On the other hand, if it becomes public, then you get all the population issues.
While thinking about the behaviour of the Delin book, I noticed something interesting. Every Delin book is in the same cavern (IC) but they all link to differents instance. One book, one instance.
A book instance.
- An age can have a book instance and a private instance. -> Singleplayer ages
- Another age can have a book instance and no private instance. -> Multiplayer ages.
Some ages will only have private instance or a very limited public access as they don't have any book in public areas.
- Links to Cavern in Nexus are for the global public instance.
- Links in Relto are for private instances (except hood and Nexus)
- While the Relto is itself instanced, the instances can't be instanced so you can't have two instance of your Relto. It also means that there's only one (public) Phil's Relto.
Concerning the Cavern:
- 1. Nobody can own the Cavern.
- 2. The "private" instance of the cavern is shared with every member of the hood.
- 3. The global IC instance of the cavern can only be accessed through Nexus. (except hood)
- 4. Rooftops and others places like that:
- 5. Each "public" rooftop has its own instance.
- 6. Each "private" rooftop is in the "hood instance"
- 7. Links to public ages.
- 7a. 2 books in the same instance -> 2 instances or 1 if it's the same age. Can also be 2 instances even if it's the same age.
- 7b. 1 book in 2 instances -> 2 instances
- 8. Links to private ages:
- 8a. Same as in MOUL.
- 9. You can only acquire and/or access your own instances through a place you own or one that nobody can own.
- 10. You must link to your own instance to add the book to your Relto.
- 11. Links to public ages:
- 11a. 2 books in the same instance -> 2 instances or 1 if it's the same age. Can also be 2 instances even if it's the same age.
- 11b. 1 book in 2 instances -> they all go to the same instance.
- 12. Links to private age:
- 12a. You link to the current age owner "private" instance.
More on some of the above rules:
9. You can only acquire and/or access your own instances through a place you own or one that nobody can own.
Books becomes reward.
7a and 11a. Link to public ages: 2 books in the same instance -> 2 instances or 1 if it's the same age. Can also be 2 instances even if it's the same age.
Lets say that there are two Kadish Tolesa books in Ae'gura. As they are for the same age, they can both link to the same instance as you could expect. However, to avoid population issues, they can also link to sparate public instances. Once a book is released it should stick to its ruleset.
A new book appears in the Cavern. Someone share the book with you and you meet in his private instance. No book is added to your Relto (rule 10). This Age has a linking book to another age in it (like Gira and Kemo). You use it and you end up in your friend's instance of the the new Âge (rule 12a). Still no book for you (rules 9 and 10). Your friend links to the public version and meets everyone that linked to the public version. No book for him too (rule 10).
The interface would be very similar to the MOUL's one. It also has to give the players an idea of where they are heading. Not just by having a picture that display which Age but also something that display if the link if for a private instance or a public instance.
Alternating between private and public would be done by simply turning the page. On Bahro stones where this is impossible, an icon would be used instead.
Content of the "private" page:
- A picture of the age like every books.
- The share icon if the book is in a cavern.
- The Yeesha logo if that link is added to Relto.
- Even if the link can't be added due to rule 10.
Content of the "public" page:
- A picture of the age with people in it (still picture for technical reasons)