Uru Abbreviations & Terminology List
This is a list of abbreviations and terminology commonly used in the D'ni cavern and on Myst/Uru forums. The first section is specific to the Uru Community and the second is commonly used by the general public.
Specific to the D'niverse
- ABM - Ages Beyond Myst
- The original single player game about D'ni, "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst."
- ADM - Anti DRC Movement
- BCO - Baron's City Office
- The office in Ae'gura; also known as Sharper's office.
- BoA - Book of Atrus
- BoD - Book of D'ni
- BoT - Book of Ti'ana
- CAT - Cavern Activities Team
- CC - Complete Chronicles
- CCN - Cavern Communications Network
- Includes The Cavern Today (TCT).
- CGZM - Calibration Great Zero Marker
- CGZM - Cathedral Great Zero Marker
- Refers to "yellow" markers for missions found in the GZ "Cathedral" or back area.
- DJC - D'ni Jazz Club
- DMC - Dutch MYST Community
- DoVVoD - Dreams of Visions, Visions of Dreams
- Forum in 2001 for discussion of fan fiction and other literature.
- DRC - D'ni Restoration Council
- DRCL - DRC Liaisons
- DZS - D'ni Zoological Society
- FCA - Fan Created Artwork
- The "official" term for User Created Content (UCC). An FCA License is a prerequisite for such content. Applications are accepted by email@example.com.
- FCAL - FCA License
- A prerequisite to creating new game content. Obtained by sending an application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GD - greydragon
- The user name for Ryan Warzecha, a Cyan employee.
- GoA - Guild of Archivists
- GoAs - Guild of Astronomy
- GoC - Guild of Cartographers
- GoCat - Guild of Caterers
- GoCo or GoCom - Guild of Comedy
- GoFA - Guild of Fine Artists
- GoG - Guild of Greeters
- GoH - Guild of Healers
- GoI - Guild of Ideas or Guild of Imaginists
- GoM - Guild of Musicians
- GoMa - Guild of Maintainers
- GoMe - Guild of Messengers
- GoW - Guild of Writers
- GT - GameTap
- The publisher of MOUL, 2007-2008
- GZ - Great Zero
- An area in the D'ni cavern.
- GZA - Great Zero Antichamber
- Same as Great Zero Observation
- GZC - GZ Courtyard or GZ Cathedral
- The courtyard is the area you can access once you've collected the first 15 markers. The cathedral is the area at the back that you can access after collecting the next set.
- GZCC - Great Zero Calibration Center
- GZM - Great Zero Marker
- Generally refers to the first two "red/green" marker sets.
- GZO - GZ Observation
- Same as Great Zero Antichamber.
- hk - Havok
- hs - HeadSpin
- Bought by Cyan to develop the Plasma Engine.
- IC - In Cavern or In Character
- Approaching Uru with the point of view that you are really in D'ni, a real place (as opposed to playing a computer game).
- Instance - One of a set of identical (or nearly identical) Age areas.
- Players in different instances will not see or hear each other. Changes made in one instance will not affect any other instances. (Example: everyone begins the game in a different instance of Relto.)
- Lattice - The Lattice is the D'ni "computer system" that manages the Nexus and communication with the KIs.
- LTD - Link To Desktop.
- Commonly cited with Uru Live, when someone would be in-game, their game would crash, and they'd come back into the game, they'd say to anyone they were talking to before the crash "Sorry, my avatar decided to LTD."
- MC - MYST Community
- ML - MYSTlore
- A mini wiki, info site.
- MM - Marker Mission
- MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online
- MO - Myst Online (Uru Live)
- or Myst Obsession which was the previous name of the Uru Obsession website.
- MOOSE - Myst Online Open Source Experiment
- MORE- Myst Online Restoration Experiment
- MOUL or MO:UL - Myst Online
- Uru Live
- MQO - Magic Quest Online
- MUDPIE -
- NPC - Non-Player Character.
- OOC - Out of Cavern (also Out of Character)
- Approaching Uru Live with the point of view that you are playing a computer game, not walking around D'ni as a real place
- OP - Original Poster
- pl - Plasma
- POTS - Path of the Shell
- The expansion pack to "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst"
- px - PhysX
- RAWA- Richard A. Watson
- Cyan employee, eater of donuts, and giver of D'ni words.
- RL - Real Life.
- An OOC term referring to reality.
- Relto'd Out - Linked to Relto
- Used in the context of leaving an area, i.e. "I was chatting with Tweek before he relto'd out."
- ResEng - Restoration Engineer
- RR - Restoration Realist
- SWN - Spoken Word Night
- Wednesday night event in UO 'hood.
- TCT - The Cavern Today
- TGT - The Great Tree
- TPotS- The Path of the Shell
- Uru extension # 3.
- U:CC - Uru: Complete Cronicles
- Not to be confused with UCC (User Created Content).
- UCC - User Created Content
- UL - Uru Live
- ULM- Uru Library Manager
- UO - Uru Obsession
- Uru CC - Uru Complete Chronicles
- UU - Until Uru
- xp - Expansion Pack
Commonly Used Anywhere
831 - I Love You (8 letters, 3 words, 1 meaning)
88 - Bye Bye
88888888 - clapping
10q - Thank you
AFAIK - As Far As I Know.
AFK - Away From Keyboard
AKA - Also Known As
ASAP - As Soon As Possible
ATM - At The Moment
AWOL - Absent Without (Official) Leave
B4 - Before
BBIAB - Be Back In A Bit
BCNU - Be seein' you
BFN - Bye For Now
bot - Any type of automated software in chatrooms and web-cataloging software
BRB - Be Right Back
- BSA - Black Screen Age
- A bug in the game when you get a black screen when loging in or linking between two locations.
- BSOD - The Blue Screen of Death
- (BSOD, bluescreen, or stop error) is an error screen displayed by certain operating systems, most notably Microsoft Windows, after encountering a critical system error. Bluescreens can be caused by poorly-written device drivers, faulty memory, a corrupt Registry, or incompatible DLLs. Bluescreens have been present in all Windows-based operating systems since Windows 3.1; OS/2 and MS-DOS suffered the Black Screen of Death, and early builds of Windows Vista displayed the Red Screen of Death after a boot loader error.
CTD - Crash to Desktop
CU - See you (later)
CYA - See ya
EOF - End of File
EOM - End of Message
ETA - Estimated time of arrival
FAQ - Frequently Asked Question(s)
FCA - Fan Created Artwork
FCAL - FCA License
FWIW - For what it's worth
FYI - For your information
GBTW - Get back to work
GDC - Game Designer Conference
GFU - Good for you
- GJ - Good job
- Often used in online gaming when a teammate performs an act benefiting his team, such as killing an opponent or enabling that kill
Gratz - Congratulations
GTG - Got to go
HAND - Have a nice day
HDMI - High-Definition Multimedia Interface
HF - Have fun
hk - Havok
hs - HeadSpin (which was bought by Cyan to develop the Plasma Engine)
IC - In Character
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IOW - In other words
IRC - Internet Relay Chat
IRL - In real life
ISP - Internet Service Provider
ITYML - I Think You Mean
IYKWIM - If you know what I mean
JAS - Just a sec
JFTR - Just for the record
JK or j/k - Just kidding, or joke
KISS - Keep it simple stupid
KTHX - OK, thanks
- KTHXBAI - OK, thanks, goodbye
- Used either to cut short a conversation or to express displeasure with being cut short
- L8R - Later
- L8R also sometimes abbreviated as L8ER is commonly used in chat rooms and other text based communications as a way of saying good bye.
LESS - Looking to Explore Something Soon
- leet - Often spelled as l33t or 1337.
- It originally meant elite
LFG - Looking for group
LFM - Looking for more
LMK - Let me know
LOL or lol - laugh out loud
LTNS - Long time no see
Luff - Intentional misspelling of love. Less extreme than love.
LYLAB - Love you like a brother.
LYLAS - Love you like a sister.
M8 - Mate
MHAOF - My Hairs Are On Fire
MMO - massively multiplayer online
MOTD - Message of the day
MTFBWY - May The Force be with you
MUD - Multi-User Dungeon
MUSH - Multi-User Shared Hallucination
MYOB - Mind your own business
N1 - Nice one
NE1 - Anyone
- NM or N/M - Not much, Never mind or no message
- Used on message boards or in e-mails to indicate that everything is already said in the subject line.
NP - No problem
NSFW - Not safe for work. Warning about content that may get the viewer in trouble with his employer or co-workers.
NPC - Non-player character
NVM, NVMD, or nm - Nevermind, not much
ODE - Open Dynamics Engine
OHEMGEE - Spelled out form of OMG.
OIC - Oh, I see
OMG - Oh my goodness
ONOZ - Oh, no
OOC - Out Of Character
OP - Original Poster
O RLY - Oh really?
OS - Operating system
OSD - On Screen Display. (ie: Monitor's menu)
OT - Off topic
OTOH - On the other hand
P2P - Peer to peer, or pay to play
PAW - Parents are watching
PLMK - Please let me know
pl - Plasma
POV - Point of view
PPL - People
PTKFGS - Punch the Keys For God's Sake
px - PhysX
QWP - Quit Whining, Please
RE/Rehi: Hello again
- RL - Real Life.
- An OOC term referring to reality.
ROTFL - rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my a.. (behind) off
RSN - Real soon now (used sarcastically)
SCNR - Sorry, could not resist
SFW - Safe for Work
sk8/sk8r/sk8er - skate/skater
SMH - Shaking my head
SOHF - Sense of humor failure
TBF - Time between failures
TBH - To be honest
TG - That's great
TGIF - Thank God it's Friday
TIA - Thanks in advance
TMI - Too much information
TOS - Terms of service
TPW - Third Party Work ( Related to User Created Content on other game sites ? )
TTBOMK - To the best of my knowledge
TTFN - Ta ta for now
TTYL - Talk to you later (also spelled TTUL, T2UL or T2YL)
Ty or Thx - Thank you
TYT - Take your time
TYVM - Thank you very much
U - You
UCC - User Created Content
VGA - Video Graphics Array
W8 - Wait
WB or wb - welcome back
WIGO - What is going on?
WIP - Work In Progress
W00t, w00T or w00t - a cheer
WOOT - We Own the Other Team
W/ or W/O - With or without
W/E - Whatever
WRT - With respect / regard to
WTB - Want to buy
WTG - Way to go
WTH - What the hell
WTS - Want to sell
WTT - Want to trade
WUG - What you got?
WUBU2 - What (have) you been up to?
WUU2: What (are) you up to?
WYSIWYG: What you see is what you get
xp - expansion pack
YHBT: You have been trolled.
YKW: You know what?
YW - you're welcome
YOLO - You Only Live Once
YOYO: You're On Your Own.